Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Looking back, looking forward

My oldest is heading to a summer internship, followed by a semester abroad.  Halfway through college, she knows what she wants to study and has some idea of how she will use her education in the future.  She has good friends and is carrying the mantle of adulthood very nicely.  I am so very proud of her.

My second just graduated elementary school (8th grade).  She has grown tremendously in the last couple of years, and has been accepted into an academically rigorous high school, apart from the friends she has been with since kindergarten.  She has picked classes for next year, taking on some very challenging coursework. Her summer will be filled with exciting adventures, but nothing compared to the 4-year adventure which awaits her in September.  I am so very proud of her.

My third is heading into her final year of elementary school.  This year she had her Bat Mitzvah, which was a tremendous commitment and growth experience for her.  She also made great progress in her cello studies, has a great group of friends, and has definite ambitions for the future.  Not only does she know where she wants to go for high school (and has begun preparing for the application process) but she knows where she wants to go to college, what she wants to study, and where she wants to live when she grows up......  She is growing into a serious young woman, and I am so very proud of her.

My fourth is just missing kindergarten cutoff this year, so I will be homeschooling him. I will be supplementing that with an Israeli playgroup and children's theater (continued from this year) as well as gymnastics and math. He is now reading EVERYTHING, in both Hebrew and English.  He loves learning songs, and memorizes movie soundtracks.  He is also a loving and lovable little boy who is sensitive to others' needs and a great big brother, too.  I am so very proud of him.

My fifth and youngest is my firecracker.  In many ways he is so babyish, but he wants to do everything his big brother does.  Physically he is incredibly strong and coordinated, already learning to do the monkey bars in the playground at age 3.  After hardly saying anything until he was almost 2 years old, in the past year his speech has grown in leaps and bounds (in both English and Hebrew) and he loves to act out movie dialogues together with his brother.  His imagination is delightful, and his laughter is irresistable.  Absolutely fearless, he tries to train the dog (who is several pounds bigger than him) -- and she listens to him!  Bright and sparkly, he has a strong personality and a mind of his own. Next year he will start a couple of activities -- a weekly Israeli playgroup and gymnastics. I am so very proud of him.

I love my family!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jewish Bloggers
Powered By Ringsurf