Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

31 for 21: Torah Connection - Noach

I think I want to make Torah Connection a regular weekly feature.  Here is last week's installment, the beginning of Genesis.

I was teaching my 4-year-old the following verse from this week's Torah Portion, taken from G*d's promise to Noach after the Flood:





'I Myself am establishing a covenant with you and your offspring after you.
Va'ani hineni mekim et-beriti itechem ve'et-zar'achem achareychem.


The connective word "et" does not have an English equivalent.  It links a verb to a direct object.  What is interesting here is the grammatical role of "and your offspring after you".  This is generally translated as being connected to "with", but grammatically, it is a direct object going back to the verb, "establishing".  This parallelism seems, in my reading, to be emphasized in that both "et-beriti" (my covenant) and "et-zarachem" (your offspring) are hyphenated. 

This means, that our offspring are "established" by G*d, and are linked to the divine covenant.  I find that a very interesting way to think about children.  What do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Jewish Bloggers
Powered By Ringsurf