Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Monday, October 29, 2012

31 for 21: The Ugly Duckling, another twist

The great thing about classics is that people can relate to them from many different circumstances.  They truly are universal.  Just a few days after I connected The Ugly Duckling to Down syndrome, my friend Hevel Cohen pointed to this post, where a Christian gay man quoted the entire original story by Hans Christian Andersen (who apparently was also gay), to show how it is actually about a homosexual individual seeking love and acceptance.

It is interesting, that so many people who use their religion to reach out to orphans, and to children with disabilities, are unable to see homosexuality in the same way.  Isn't a "sexual difference" just as much a "special need" worth respecting?



4 comments:

  1. I did think it was strange that I read these two posts close together. I think, in a way, we are all ugly ducklings in one way or another in this world.

    I also wanted to link you a YouTube video. http://youtu.be/Yxp-nKIG5qc I think it fits in with some of your posts and the tone of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Even more, we all want to believe that the ways in which we are perceived as "ugly ducklings" will turn out to be what makes us beautiful swans.

      Thanks for the link!

      Delete
  2. i hope you are voting for reeces rainbow to win 50,000 - contest ends on 10/31/2012 i know were in a hurricane but if you have power you can vote once per day each -- www.cultivatewines.com/causes/49260

    god bless - we met at the buddy walk in wakefield at the reeces rainbow table! kathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I wonder if that would be another avenue for my initiative to pursue. The liberal Jewish community is both focused on Tikkun Olam in a way that can lend itself to SN adoption, and open to LGBT. I hope to reach the more Orthodox segments as well, but I don't know how far I'll be able to get with that.

    ReplyDelete

Jewish Bloggers
Powered By Ringsurf