Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Today he is 5

I want to say Happy Birthday, but it probably isn't.....


Nikita R. is turning 5 today.  I have probably viewed his profile more than any other one.

Boy, born May 25, 2007
Eyes: Gray
Hair: light brown
Nature: Quiet
Diagnosis: Down syndrome
Nikita is a HEALTHY 4 (now 5) year old boy who is waiting for his family.   
 This picture has not been updated in nearly 2 years.  I wonder what he looks like now.  Has he been transferred?  Will he be transferred soon, now that he is 5?  Are his cheeks still rosy and oh-so-pinchable?  Does that sweet pouty mouth ever get to smile and laugh? Are his eyes now sunken and hollow, or do they twinkle and sparkle?

He has an extra pinky finger on his right hand, 
 When I first read this, I cracked up, since it reminded me of Count Rugen in The Princess Bride.  Of course, Count Rugen was evil, and also had the extra finger on his LEFT hand.  So instead, I call Nikita "Count Ruben".  Nice Jewish name!  Anyway, is that a handicap?!  I think it would be great to have an extra pinky -- especially for playing piano!  I guess if he really wanted to have it removed we could.....

and some minor strabismus,
 Yeah, his eyes are a bit crossed, but in this picture, it just looks to me like he is just looking up at me.  Maybe asking if that birthday present is really for him?  And the cake too?  Maybe asking for forgiveness for making a mess..... (Of course I'd forgive him!)  Maybe he's just praying?  In any case, minor strabismus can probably be resolved without resorting to surgery.

but he is doing well.  
 I so, so hope so!

He is learning to walk and get around, and will really benefit from having a family full of siblings to chase after and model!  He understands what he is asked and responds appropriately.  Speech coming along.
 I can SO see him playing with my 2- and 3-year old boys.  Learning from them and having fun, but most of all, loving, and being loved!   My big girls are so good and loving with their brothers, I know they would be great with him, too.

FULL MEDICAL INFO AVAILABLE!
 So we could be well-prepared with what his needs might be.  

Happy fifth birthday, Count Ruben.  I hope you will be home before you turn six!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jewish Bloggers
Powered By Ringsurf